Requirements for the Internship Option:
- Work with your advisor to determine an appropriate internship experience given your career goals.
- You must work at least 75 hours at the internship for each WVU credit hour earned. For AMRD majors, a minimum of 3 credit hours are needed (225 hours of work), and a maximum of 6 credit hours (450 hours of work) are possible for the capstone requirement.
- ENRE majors may obtain credit for an internship by registering for ARE 491 and following the internship requirements given here. However, their internship will count as an ENRE restricted elective but not as their capstone experience.
- Registration for ARE 491 (internship) requires approval of Dr. Brown (Cheryl.Brown@mail.wvu.edu), Undergraduate Coordinator. The intern description form for ARE 491 is online and the link is listed below. You must fill out the online form for approval prior to the start of your internship.
- The credit hours for the internship must be acquired during the semester when all or a portion of the work hours are completed.
- If your internship takes place during the summer, you are required to register for ARE 491 as an off-campus summer course. You will register online but first Dr. Brown must clear you to be able to do so. Payment for off-campus summer courses is per credit hour and possibly will not be covered by financial aid, so plan accordingly.
- You should retain, and may be required to submit pay stubs or other records of your work hours.
- Your supervisor must complete an evaluation form of your internship experience. This form will be sent by Dr. Brown to your internship supervisor using the contact information that you provide.
- Two written reports that should be submitted through eCampus are required (keeping a daily journal during your internship will help with these reports):
(1) a one page progress report submitted at about the halfway point of your internship
(2) a final report of your internship experience (5-10 pages)
Describe the business or agency you worked for and its overall goals and objectives.
Describe your responsibilities and duties within the company or agency.
Discuss what you learned on the job.
Explain what skills and knowledge you applied from your WVU coursework.
Discuss how this internship will help your future career goals.
Explain what you consider were the best features of your assignment and why.
Comment on your ability to be to observe professionals working in your field.
What suggestions would you make (to your employer and/or to WVU) to improve the professional field experience.
How would you rate your overall performance as an employee during your internship? In what areas did you excel and where do you need to improve.
Did you receive an offer of future employment as a result of your professional field experience?
- We would like you to please fill out the Media Release form (link below) and take pictures of your experience (Not Required). Your experience may be an inspiration to other students looking for internships.
Professional Field Experience
Internship Description Form ARE 491
Media Release Form PDF
RESM 491Same as above except:
- You must work at least 75 hours at the internship for each WVU credit hour earned. A minimum of 3 credit hours are needed, and a maximum of 5 credit hours are possible for the capstone requirement. A minimum of 5 credit hours is needed for E*Quad majors. A minimum of 3 credit hours (225 hours of work) is needed for E*Quad majors, if they are using 2 credit hours of job shadowing to meet their capstone requirement.
- Registration for RESM 491 (internship or job shadow) requires approval of Dr. Alan Collins (Alan.Collins@mail.wvu.edu) , RESM 491 course instructor. The form for RESM 491 is online and the link is listed below. You must fill out the online forms for approval prior to the start of your internship.
- A weekly time log with a brief description of work/duties performed will be submitted halfway through your internship and at the end of your internship. A time log template for RESM 491 is linked below. You should retain your pay stubs for a record of hours worked. Paid internships with an hourly wage will submit a time log along with the pay stubs. Unpaid internships or salaried internships will submit time logs which are signed by your supervisor.
- Two written reports are required to be submitted via eCampus:
- A one page progress report submitted at about the halfway point of your internship. Along with the one page progress report, please submit your time log from the start of your internship to the halfway point.
- A six to eight page report of your internship experience must be submitted at that the conclusion of your internship. This report must include descriptions of: (1) the business or agency you worked for and its overall goals and objectives; (2) your responsibilities and duties within this business or agency; (3) what you learned on the job; (4) what skills and knowledge you applied from your WVU coursework; (5) how this internship will help your future career goals; and (6) what you consider were the best and worst features of your assignment and why. In addition to this report, you must complete an evaluation form for your internship and submit your remaining time logs.
- After your report and evaluation form are received, there will be an exit interview about your internship experience, which can be completed by phone.
Professional Field Experience
Internship Contract Form RESM 491
RESM 491 Weekly Time Log
Media Release Form PDF